Our Family - Nov. 2014

Our Family - Nov. 2014

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Lydia's Birth Story

Saturday morning, September 3rd, started like almost any other weekend morning for us - getting up when Daniel woke up and bringing him in to hang out with Scott and I in bed for awhile before we made breakfast and talked about our plans for the day... Although I had been very ready to have our little baby for over a week, the night before had really been the first time I had noticed small contractions that were fairly consistent overall. But after they didn't continue over-night, I didn't think much about it until my mom texted or called Saturday morning to see how I was feeling. I decided after that that I might as well try to do all I could to get things started up again, so I decided that it would be a catch-up on cleaning and getting stuff done day and so all morning I did stuff trying not to sit down much at all. I felt pretty consistent contractions and while we walked over to Scott's parents around lunch time to deliver something, I got my first ones that actually felt much stronger. That afternoon Scott and I timed them some, but although they were getting closer together and lasted longer they were still not that intense, so by late afternoon I decided I needed to do something else or otherwise I felt like this whole day of consistent contractions 3-5 minutes apart would have been for nothing! So we joined my parents and Lelia for dinner at Chick fil A and then walked Sam's Club for over an hour until I couldn't walk through any of the contractions. We called my midwife to tell her what was up and she said to head home and see if the contractions continued while taking a bath and resting... We went over to Lelia's house since she lives in GJ but ended up leaving and heading home by 10 p.m. after my contractions almost stopped completely when I took a bath and rested. That was so disappointing because I SO wanted to have my little girl!!

I fell asleep fast and slept a good hour and a half before I awoke to much more intense contractions and back pain. I timed them some myself and woke up Scott 30 minutes later when I saw that they were hitting consistently at every 2 to 4 minutes apart and I was having to do consistent breathing through most of them. Within an hour they got a lot worse and we were heading to the hospital after Scott's mom came over to stay with Daniel. We met my parents and sisters there and made our way up to the 6th floor of St. Mary's Hospital room 618. We met our first nurse almost right away a little after 2 am, and she checked me and told me I was dilated to a 4. Two weeks prior I was 2 cm. so at least some progress had been made!

For the next six hours I labored and labored... Not much to say except for I had the most amazing team of helpers there! :o) Scott was awesome like he was with Daniel... I seriously don't know how I could ever go through something like that without him by my side encouraging me and helping me every step and breath of the way! :o) My mom and dad switched out being my lean-on person... they were awesome, also! My sister, Amanda, headed home after a little while to get some rest because she was very tired, but my other sister, Lelia, was there the entire time helping when she needed to but mainly watching and learning a lot about labor to get ready for her own come February! :o) Around 6 a.m. my new nurse arrived and she was incredible! I seriously don't think I could have done it without her encouragement and great advice getting through the contractions! She showed my parents and Scott different foot and hand massages they could do while I was going through contractions that felt AMAZING and she gave me a neck and shoulder massage while I was on the birthing ball at one point that made me almost fall asleep, even during the intense contractions! It was crazy! Anyway, around 6:30 a.m. my midwife checked me again and I was at 6 cm dilated, which wasn't as far along as I would have liked but things were going good so instead of breaking my water at that point I decided to keep going forward with what we were doing.

By 8:00 a.m. I decided to have them break my water, which they did and I was at 6 cm still! :o( Very discouraging, but I knew that breaking my water would speed things up, so I was hoping she'd arrive sometime in the next two or three hours at least! WELL, after that the labor got SO intense that I was about at the asking-for-an-epidural point because I seriously felt like I wouldn't last much longer! I was beyond exhausted and they were not letting me rest like at all! Scott told me to try the tub one more time to see if that would help me relax some. Right before I got in the tub I began feeling like I could push but I was a little scared because just 30 minutes ago they had told me I was only 6 cm, so I didn't want to push before I was ready! I told my midwife and she seemed fine with me pushing, though, so as soon as I got in the tub a contraction hit and I pushed. During that one contraction I pushed twice and with the second push she was out of me! It was crazy and a little scary as I screamed at Scott telling him "something is coming out" because he was the only one with me in the bathroom! My midwife ran in and got there just in time to 'catch' Lydia and put her up on me to hold. It was such an amazing moment but really a shock, also, because of how fast it all went! Poor Lelia was there waiting to see the delivery and totally missed it, along with my parents. I pretty much felt like I missed it because it happened so fast; I hardly knew what was happening! I couldn't believe I had had a water birth without planning to have one at all! As soon as she came out I remember thinking how small she was, especially compared to Daniel! AND, she had SOOOOO much hair! But she was adorable and I was so excited to finally be able to hold our little girl! :o) Her birthdate was Sunday, September 4th, 2011, and she was born at 9 in the morning!

They cleaned her off and did all the measurements and she weighed in at 8 lbs. 5.4 oz. and was 21 in. long with a 13 7/8 in. head. Absolutely perfect in every way! It was an amazing labor and delivery and totally worth every bit of pain when I was able to hold our little Lydia Grace Slade!

In the next few hours her uncles, Bryan, Geoffrey, and Wayne all came to see her, and her Aunt Amanda and cousin Vienna. We all hung out with her for awhile enjoying every minute before heading up to the recovery room where we'd stay until the next morning. She had many more visitors during the day and the next morning but she missed most of it because of sleeping so much! :o) But that meant I was able to hold her lots and that was amazing every single time! Her big brother, Daniel, came up with Grandma and Grandpa to see her Sunday afternoon and Daniel loved her almost right away! He gave her lots of big kisses and hugs and it was SO sweet seeing him with his "baby sister." Scott and I have the best kids ever and I couldn't even imagine a better family than the one I have! :o) God has blessed us beyond imaginable - I am SO thankful for my amazing family!

Here are some of the pictures of the labor, right after she was born, and during the day on Sunday and Monday! Enjoy! :o)














No comments:

Post a Comment