Our Family - Nov. 2014

Our Family - Nov. 2014

Friday, August 6, 2010

Not sure what to title this...

I'm not sure how to start this post... Let's just say that in the past nine days since I last wrote there have been quite the high and low points in my life and those around me. I guess I will just write about everything in order of when it took place...

Last Thursday night (the 29th) was David and Jessica's bachelor and bachelorette parties, which were a lot of fun for everyone! Us girls had so much fun with Jessica playing miniature golf, going to her apartment and playing games, eating food, and opening presents, and then going to Weaver's - a local bar - for their Karaoke night. It was so much fun! I had some friends watch Daniel while I went to the bar with them and many of us girls went up and sung different songs. My sisters, Amanda and Lelia, and I went up and sung "You're So Vain", which has been our all-time favorite song to sing together as sisters!

Friday night was their rehearsal and the rehearsal dinner which was fun to go to. I love going to rehearsals, seeing the happy couple as they begin to realize that they REALLY are going to be married the next day! :o) Scott, Daniel, and I didn't stay super long at the park for the dinner because it was super hot, but we did for awhile and then headed home to rest before our busy weekend continued.

Saturday was the big day - our very good friends, Jessica and David, were getting married! I have known David for five years now and Jessica for the past two. It was so cool watching them begin dating and all throughout their time together so far... We were so excited for them as they were finally beginning their lives together as a married couple! That morning I went over to their reception place to help decorate the place and get last minute things ready. Then all three of us headed over to their wedding at River of Life (our church) at 3:00 p.m. I video-taped their ceremony as I tried to keep from crying so I wouldn't shake the camera more than I was already just from holding it so long. It was such a beautiful ceremony and it was so cool to see how much in love they are. After the ceremony, we hung out with some of our friends while we waited to get our 'family dinner' picture taken with them. It was so cool that they wanted a picture of our family... :o) I'm excited to get a copy of it myself! We went over the reception place after dinner and watched the wedding party's awesome entrance that started out a very fun reception. We had food, great fellowship with lots of friends, dancing, and more dancing. It was so much fun! Then they left for their honeymoon and we headed back home, exhausted...



Sunday we had church that morning and then hung out with Nate and Christine that evening for dinner and games. It was a good day to relax some from our busy weekend. :o)

Monday was a normal day around here... I stayed home so that Daniel could have some normalcy in his life again and then since it was cloudy that afternoon and evening (it's been raining a lot lately - I LOVE it - which has cooled things off quite a bit), I took Daniel out for a walk that evening as Scott played frisbee golf with a friend from work. I watched them for awhile and then headed home while they got pizza and ice cream for dinner. It was good hanging out with Matt - having dinner and playing Phase 10. We had a great time, but now thinking back on that evening, we had no idea how sad that evening would be later on...

I woke up at 5:20 in the morning to my mom calling me on my phone. I didn't answer at first because I was half asleep and didn't see who was calling. After the call ended I pulled out my phone and noticed that I had a text. All I saw was that it was sent at like 1:50 and was from my friend, Hannah. The only part I could see as I was pushing on it to read it was "Bekah was killed..." and my heart dropped! :o( It really seemed like a dream as I read the rest of the text... "Bekah was killed in a car accident tonight. Please pray for our family." I woke up Scott right away as I was calling my mom back, knowing that that was probably why she was calling. And, I started to cry... I couldn't believe it! My mom had to have Dad talk to me as she started crying as soon as she answered. He told me that they had just heard from a friend from my old church (Hannah's dad is the pastor of that church... I have known their family since '99 when we moved back to CO). He said that he told them that Bekah King, Hannah's youngest sister, was killed the night before around 9:30 in a car accident. She was leaving her parents' house heading to a restaurant to hang out with friends from work and was hit by a truck with no headlights on, being driven by a 28-year-old drunk driver.

That started what has been a really hard week for my family, the King family, and so many other families all over the country. We were able to go see their family Tuesday for a little bit, and other than that I have talked to Hannah a lot over texting throughout the week. It's been so sad thinking back on Bekah's life. We knew her from the time she was 9... I still see her as such a young girl. It's hard to believe she was 20! Tomorrow morning is her funeral / memorial service, which should be a good time for all of her friends and family to get together and share their memories of an amazing young woman. Hearing different things from her journal and quotes she had put on her facebook has been hard... she was such a deep girl and her writing was amazing! I am taking pictures tomorrow for the family of everything at the memorial service. I know it might be a hard at times taking pictures because I know I'll be crying like crazy, but I have felt so hopeless all week wanting to help in any way I can, so this way I feel like I can do something for them. I can't even imagine how Hannah and her sister, Sarah, feel right now, let alone how their parents feel. Having little Daniel now and being a mom makes that even harder! It's amazing how life can change in a second. Makes me really want to enjoy every moment with my loved ones and to always make sure they know how much I love them!

Yesterday was Scott's birthday and even though he was feeling sad and down all week because of everything with Bekah, I was determined to make it a great day for him, so Daniel and I met him at McAlister's for lunch and then last night when he got home from work we both dressed up for an evening date. We dropped Daniel off at our friends', Jesse and Rhonda's, where he had a great time with them while Scott and I went to dinner at the Olive Garden (amazing!) and then drove around looking at houses! It was a lot of fun just hanging out together! We had a great time and overall he had a wonderful birthday! This next Thursday will be the time for all our family to get together to celebrate his birthday with gifts, pizza, cake, etc. at the park. It will be lots of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment